Jun 22, 2020
Today New York City has entered Phase 2 of reopening, the last region in the state to reach that milestone. Phase 2 allows hair salons, barbershops, car dealers, retail stores and other businesses to open. Real estate agents can once again show (vacant) apartments, and outdoor dining can resume at restaurants. (More details here).
Here's what else you need to know tonight:
1. Global public health experts have cleared the Mid-Hudson Valley to enter Phase 3 of reopening tomorrow. Long Island is on track to enter Phase 3 on Wednesday. Business guidance for Phase 3 of the state's reopening plan is available here.
2. The Nourish NY Initiative continues to provide New Yorkers in need with access to healthy food. Over the past 50+ days, Nourish NY has purchased 4.8 million pounds, or 557,018 gallons, of raw milk from farmers, which has been distributed to New Yorkers in the form of yogurt, cheese and other dairy products, in addition to milk. 394 distributions have taken place with an estimated 114,833 households receiving Nourish NY products.
3. The total number of COVID hospitalizations continues to decline. Total hospitalizations are at 1,122, from 1,142 the previous day. Sadly, 10 people in New York passed away due to COVID-19 (the lowest number since March 21st.)
4. Yesterday, the State tested 56,780 people. Only 552 tests came back positive â 0.97% of the total.
5. The Yankees and Mets will resume their spring training in New York. The teams will hold their training at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, respectively. The Mets will host a soft opening this week for players who want to begin preparing. Both teams will work with the State to ensure proper health and safety protocols.
6. Over the weekend, a New York-bred horse won the Belmont Stakes. Usually the final leg in the Triple Crown, this year the Long Island race was the first, held on Saturday ahead of both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes. This was the first time since 1882 that a New York-bred horse won the Belmont. Congratulations to New York's own Tiz the Law and jockey Manuel Franco!
Tonight's "Deep Breath Moment": To capture the past 110 days of the COVID crisis in New York, we put together a photo album of 100 behind-the-scenes moments. Take a look.
If you were forwarded this email, you can subscribe to New York State's Coronavirus Updates here.