What We Do
The New York State Tourism Industry Association (NYSTIA) advances economic growth, job creation, community revitalization, quality of life and pride of place by realizing the potential of New York State's tourism industry and facilitating the success of its members.
We serve New York State's tourism industry through collaborative initiatives, research, legislative awareness, and exceptional marketing.
NYSTIA is organized for the purposes of bringing together New York State tourism industry interests to: advocate government policies and programs which will strengthen the industry; to raise the level of professionalism within the industry; to encourage the development of cooperative relationships and partnerships among its members; and to raise consumer awareness and appreciation of travel and vacation opportunities in New York State.
NYSTIA acknowledges and advocates the need for diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEAI) within the New York State travel, tourism, and hospitality industry. We encourage, educate, and solicit best practices in workforce development, board building and marketing to ensure the industry is welcoming to diverse audiences.
NYSTIA has signed the Travel Industry Association Pledge to show our commitment to purposeful action around diversity, equity, and inclusion to create an environment to make our organization and the broader travel industry more welcoming and inclusive. In adopting this pledge, we agree to follow the guiding principles outlined here.
NYSTIA's leaderships consists of a diverse 21-person board of directors, drawing from the associations membership. The board is lead by an Executive Committee of Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer; as well as a President & CEO who oversees association staff managing the day-to-day operations of the association. NYSTIA members are invited to attend NYSTIA board meetings, held at least 4 times per year, and are encouraged to attend the Annual NYSTIA membership meeting, held in a different location each year.
The Association staff manage the day-to-day activities of the Association, including:
- Compile a monthly e-newsletter to keep members up-to-date on issues affecting tourism.
- Manage the Association's involvement in literature distribution and information services the New York State Fair.
- Participate in and add its voice to Tourism Industry Coalition (including the annual Tourism Showcase lobbying day in Albany), the tourism promotion efforts of the NYS Division of Tourism, and the annual Governor's Tourism Summit.
- Host the annual statewide New York State Tourism Conference.
Develop and execute a cost-saving cooperative consumer shows program for NYSTIA members.
- Develop and execute cost-saving cooperative print and digital marketing program for NYSTIA members.
- Field questions and concerns of NYSTIA members about tourism industry issues or activities.
- Manage the Destinations of New York State Travel, Tourism, Hospitality & Culinary College Scholarship Program.
The Association derives its operating budget from membership dues, cooperative marketing activities and registrations/sponsorships for NYSTIA events and conferences.