What We Do
Who We Are
The New York State Tourism Industry Association (NYSTIA) is a member-driven, member-directed, 501(c)6 nonprofit organization at the vanguard of transformational tourism marketing, stewardship and long-term strategic thinking.
The New York State Tourism Industry Association (NYSTIA) assists our members in advancing responsible, sustainable economic growth, creating local jobs, revitalizing communities, supporting small business success, and increasing state and local tax revenues in order to improve the standard of living, quality of life and pride of place for New York State communities and residents.
We achieve these goals by facilitating the success of our members in realizing the economic potential of New York State's tourism industry as a catalyst for collaborative initiatives, exceptional marketing programs, industry research, and legislative awareness.
NYSTIA convenes New York State's tourism industry to advocate government policies and programs which will strengthen the industry; to enhance the level of professionalism within the industry; to encourage the development of cooperative relationships and partnerships among its members; and to raise consumer awareness and appreciation of travel and vacation opportunities in New York State.
NYSTIA acknowledges and advocates the need for diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEAI) within the New York State travel, tourism, and hospitality industry. We encourage, educate, and solicit best practices in workforce development, supply chain outreach, board building and consumer marketing to ensure the industry is welcoming to diverse audiences.
NYSTIA has signed the Travel Industry Association Pledge to show our commitment to purposeful action around diversity, equity, and inclusion to create an environment to make our organization and the broader travel industry more welcoming and inclusive. In adopting this pledge, we agree to follow the guiding principles outlined here.
NYSTIA's leaderships consists of a diverse 21-person board of directors, drawing from the associations membership. The board is lead by an Executive Committee of Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer; as well as a President & CEO who oversees association staff managing the day-to-day operations of the association. NYSTIA members are invited to attend NYSTIA board meetings, held at least 4 times per year, and are encouraged to attend the Annual NYSTIA membership meeting, held in a different location each year.
The Association staff manage the day-to-day activities of the Association, including:
- Publish a weekly e-newsletter and manage an array of social media platforms to keep members up-to-date on tourism industry issues, news and foster member-to-member.
- Participates in and adds its voice to advocacy efforts in local communities, in Albany for New York State issues and in Washington, DC for federal issues.
- Organize program and host the annual
- New York State Tourism Conference
- New York State Tourism Excellence Awards
- The NYSTIA Annual Meeting and Marketing Summit
- Develop and execute a cost-saving cooperative consumer shows program for NYSTIA members.
- Develop and execute cost-saving cooperative market intelligence, print and digital marketing program for NYSTIA members.
- Field questions and concerns of NYSTIA members about tourism industry issues or activities.
- Manage the Destinations of New York State Travel, Tourism, Hospitality & Culinary College Scholarship Program.
The Association derives its operating budget from membership dues, cooperative marketing activities and registrations/sponsorships for NYSTIA events and conferences.