Erie Canalway Challenge July Update
Jul 22, 2021
- At summer's half-way point, the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor has nearly exceeded last year's total miles pledged, with 168,953 miles pledged to date and 143,369 miles completed to date. People are certainly out on the waterway and trail achieving their goals, making memories, and discovering all that the Canalway Corridor offers.
“Can't imagine a better way to get introduced to cycling. ...beautiful scenery, friendly people along the way, and you can make it as challenging as you wish. Planning to double our miles next year!" – Brian, 90-Miler
The ECNHC would like to thank their promotional partners for their continued support throughout the event. Here are some news of note and a new social media post for July/August that they would love for you to share. Please reach out if you need more rack cards, trail cards, posters or a banner.
- Recent events included the dedication of a new adaptive kayak dock in the Village of Brockport and the return of the Cycle the Erie Canal bike tour, organized by Parks & Trails New York. It was fantastic to welcome people of all abilities to Brockport as part of our 1st Mile Challenge and to greet cyclists after a soggy week as they rode into Albany. More 1st Mile events are coming up and you can find all Canalway Challenge related events on our Ideas for Logging Miles webpage.
- We have a team of photographers from Call of the Loon Productions taking new photos and videos along the canals this summer to refresh our photo library and showcase people from all backgrounds, abilities, and walks of life using the canal and trails. We will be showcasing a number of enthusiastic Canalway Challenge participants.
- Canal Corp has launched free On the Canals excursions to invite more people to discover and experience paddling and cycling. Excursion hosts have information to give out and we hope participants will sign up for the Canalway Challenge to explore even more.
- We send out a monthly newsletter to Canalway Challenge participants. The newsletter includes upcoming events, Best Bet trips, and stories from participants. You can sign up to receive it on our website if you'd like.
- If you'd like to see what participants have to say or questions they ask, join the Canalway Challenge Facebook group. You can also post there about sites of interest or events in your area that you think would be of interest.
Social Media Post with attached photo:
New York's canals are the place to be this summer. Sign up for the Canalway Challenge to Trace History, Track Miles, and discover more than 500 miles of waterways and trails! www.canalwaychallenge.org
(Photo: Erie Canalway Trail near Mohawk by Frank Forte)
Enjoy your summer!
Director of Communications and Outreach
Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
P.O. Box 219
Waterford, NY 12188
(o) 518-237-7000, ext. 222
Discover all you can do along 500 miles of historic waterways and trails.