Apr 28, 2020
From Governor Cuomo @ 7:36 PM on April 28:
Here's what else you need to know tonight:
1. Today, I outlined factual, data-driven principles to guide us on reopening New York safely on a regional basis. Each region of the state — Capital Region, Central New York, Finger Lakes, Mid-Hudson Valley, Mohawk Valley, New York City, North Country, Long Island, Southern Tier and Western New York — must follow twelve guidelines as part of the reopening plan. Read the full guidelines here.
2. We announced the formation of the new New York Forward Reopening Advisory Board. The advisory board will help guide the state's reopening strategy and will be chaired by Former Secretaries to the Governor Steve Cohen and Bill Mulrow. The board includes over 100 business, community and civic leaders from industries across the state. A list of the members of the advisory board is available here.
3. New COVID-19 hospitalizations dropped below 1,000. Yesterday, there were 953 new COVID hospitalizations in the state, down from 1,052 the day before. Although we are seeing a consistent decline of these numbers, we need to keep taking precautions so they continue to fall. Total hospitalizations fell slightly yesterday to 12,646 from 12,819 the day before. Tragically, there were 335 COVID-19 fatalities yesterday, down only slightly from 337 the previous day. We mourn the New Yorkers we've lost to this virus. Visit covid19tracker.health.ny.gov to see the latest data.
4. Residents of Rensselaer County can pick up a cloth mask tomorrow. In response to COVID-19, the county will be distributing masks from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. tomorrow (April 29) at five locations.
5. To help support our hero frontline workers, New York created the First Responders Fund. The fund will assist COVID-19 healthcare workers and first responders with expenses and costs, including child care. We encourage New Yorkers to donate if you can: Donations can be made electronically at www.healthresearch.org/
Tonight's "Deep Breath Moment": Over the weekend, singers gathered together to celebrate the 90th birthday of American composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim. The tribute, called "Take Me to the World: A Sondheim 90th Birthday Celebration," includes performances of many of Sondheim's Broadway musical numbers. Watch the tribute here.
If you were forwarded this email, you can subscribe to New York State's Coronavirus Updates here.
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo