Jul 28, 2020
We have exciting news today. The Eastman Kodak Company, a storied New York manufacturer based in Rochester, was awarded a $765 million federal loan under the Defense Production Act. This loan will allow Kodak to create a new business unit, Kodak Pharmaceuticals, dedicated to producing pharmaceutical ingredients that are essential for vital medications. New York's long-term support for Eastman Business Park helped allow the company to take advantage of this opportunity. Today's announcement means 300 direct jobs and 1,200 indirect jobs for New Yorkers. More importantly, it will help ensure that America can provide for our own needs in a pandemic like this one. Never again do we want to rely on shipments from China or elsewhere in order to get lifesaving medical supplies. It is not just a public health issue—it's a national security issue. This is a great step forward and a great business opportunity for New York.
1. Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico have been added to the state's travel advisory list. Individuals traveling from these areas, and other states with high infection rates, must quarantine for 14 days. The advisory now applies to 34 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. See the full list and more details here.
2. The state has suspended liquor licenses for 12 New York City bars after finding egregious violations of pandemic-related Executive Orders. Over the weekend, the state task force, led by the State Police and State Liquor Authority, conducted over 1,300 compliance checks, documenting violations at 132 establishments. A list of licensees charged and businesses served with summary suspension orders can be found here.
3. The number of total hospitalizations remains low. Yesterday, there were 648 total hospitalizations. The State conducted 57,397 tests, of which 534, or 0.93%, were positive. Sadly, we lost 9 New Yorkers to the virus.
4. Major League Baseball teams are welcome to play in New York if they are experiencing difficulties in their home states. New York State has one of the lowest infection rates in the U.S. We have a full Department of Health protocol system in place. My offer to the MLB: If you are having problems playing in other states, come play in the Empire State.
5. Reminder to stay cool and stay safe. If you go to a cooling center, beach or pool to escape the extreme heat, remember to socially distance and wear a mask. Learn how to identify the symptoms of heat-related illnesses, including heat strokes, here.