Oct 1, 2020
- Contact tracing has been instrumental in stopping the COVID spread, and we have worked hard over these past months to establish a nation-leading testing and tracing program. Today, we are building on that effort with an additional innovative technology-based tool â COVID Alert NY â our official Exposure Notification App created by the New York State Department of Health in partnership with Google and Apple. With COVID Alert NY, you can use your phone to receive alert notifications if you have been exposed without compromising your privacy or personal information.
As we continue to battle the virus, this app offers another way to protect yourself and your community. The more New Yorkers who download the app, the more effective it is. Get the app today and help stop the spread while maintaining your privacy. Click here to download it directly to your iPhone. Click here to download it directly to your Android device.
Here's what else you need to know tonight:
1. We are closely monitoring New York's infection rate. Yesterday, there were 612 total hospitalizations. Of the 109,218 tests reported yesterday, 1,382, or 1.27 percent, were positive. Sadly, we lost 11 New Yorkers to the virus.
2. 26 percent of all positive cases yesterday were only from 20 hotspot ZIP codes. The hotspot ZIP codes are in Orange County (10950), Rockland County (10952, 10977, 10956), Brooklyn (11223, 11230, 11210, 11,219, 11204, 11229, 11235, 11218, 11234), Queens (11367, 11374, 11691), Westchester County (10573), the Bronx (10468), Nassau County (11590), and Staten Island (10305). If you live in one of these ZIP codes, please take this seriously and get tested.
3. New York launched "Empire State Digital" to help small businesses compete in the digital economy. The COVID-19 pandemic has been disruptive to so many small businesses. This new initiative accelerates NY small businesses' ability to grow their online presence through a first-in-the-nation program with leading global e-commerce enablers, including Shopify, Square, Clearbanc, and Etsy and will help them compete with larger online retailers.
4. Remember that New Yorkers can request an absentee ballot online now. This year, New Yorkers have several options to vote in the November election: Early voting, absentee voting and in-person voting on Election Day. If you have concerns about COVID, you may request an absentee ballot now. Learn more.
Tonight's "Deep Breath Moment": Autumn is in full swing, as shown in I Love NY's latest fall foliage report. Be sure to catch a glimpse of the iconic scenery throughout the state while you can. Enjoy the season safely.