Aug 3, 2020
Today, I was happy to announce that construction of the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine in New York City has resumed. As you may remember, the original St. Nicholas Church was completely destroyed in the September 11 attacks. A new church, inspired by the architecture of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, has been planned for years, but construction had been delayed, most recently due to COVID-19. To me, this church is symbolic of New York's resilience and perseverance in challenging times. Just like the period following 9/11, we are going to build back better after the crisis. We can only succeed together, with everyone's help. We need to wear masks, stay six feet apart and keep one another safe.
Here's what else you need to know tonight:
1. The period to file claims under the Child Victims Act has been extended until August 14, 2021. We cannot let this pandemic rob survivors of their day in court. Today I signed legislation extending the window for survivors of childhood abuse to file claims under the Child Victims Act, which was passed in 2019. This extension will help ensure that abusers are held accountable despite COVID-related delays in state courts.
2. The number of total hospitalizations continues to drop. Yesterday, there were 536 total hospitalizations, a new low since March 17. Total intubations dropped to 62, another new low. The State conducted 51,839 tests, of which 545, or 1.05%, were positive. Sadly, we lost 3 New Yorkers to the virus. No deaths were reported in New York City for the second straight day.
3. Ice cream containing liquor can now be manufactured and sold in New York State. I signed legislation that will help New York's dairy farmers, liquor and craft beverage producers, dairy processors and manufacturers, food retailers and restaurants meet the increasing consumer demand and, hopefully, grow their businesses amid economic pains related to the COVID pandemic.
4. The state has suspended liquor licenses for 19 New York State bars after finding egregious violations of pandemic-related Executive Orders. Over the weekend, the state's multi-agency task force, led by the State Police and State Liquor Authority, conducted 3,047 compliance checks, documenting violations at 106 establishments. Bad actors must be held accountable to help ensure public health is not jeopardized.
5. Show respectâwear a mask. Watch our latest Mask Up America PSA with voiceover by Kaitlyn Dever.
Tonight's "Deep Breath Moment": From now through August 16th, a new art exhibit called the "Flag Project" will be displayed at Rockefeller Center. The flagpoles that surround the famous Rockefeller Center ice rink will feature 193 unique flags designed by a variety of artists, in place of the usual world flags. The designs, including those by artists such as Jeff Koons and fashion designer Christian Siriano, are intended to honor the resiliency of New Yorkers during this pandemic.
If you were forwarded this email, you can subscribe to New York State's Coronavirus Updates here.