Jun 30, 2020
Last week, along with my fellow governors of New Jersey and Connecticut, I announced a travel advisory for all individuals traveling to NY from states with significant community spread. Individuals traveling to NY must quarantine for a 14-day period upon arrival.
In recognition of the situation, we have added eight additional states to the travel advisory: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah. (The list of states will be updated online as the data changes.) New Yorkers have worked very hard to get the viral transmission rate down and we need to take steps to keep it down.
Photo of the Day: To remind New Yorkers to wear a mask, the iconic lion statues Patience and Fortitude in front of the New York Public Library have donned blue medical masks
(Photo by Jonathan Blanc/NYPL)
Here's what else you need to know tonight:
1. New York State employees who voluntarily travel to high-risk states will be ineligible for COVID-19 paid sick leave. I signed a new executive order that makes New York employees who voluntarily travel to specified states after June 25 ineligible for this benefit.
2. The State Department of Health continues to investigate a COVID cluster in Westchester, NY. The potential exposure is associated with a Horace Greeley High School drive-in graduation ceremony that was held on June 20th in Chappaqua, NY. Individuals who attended that graduation ceremony or events associated with the graduation should self-quarantine until July 5th. Remember, if you get a call from NYS Contact Tracingâanswer the phone.
3. See the final work of the late Milton Glaser, who designed the famous "I â¥ NY" logo. Over the weekend, we lost Milton Glaser, a brilliant designer and a great New Yorker. Before his death, he was working on a graphical treatment of the word "Together" to evoke that we all have something in common during this pandemic â see it here.
4. The Capital Region will enter Phase 4 of reopening tomorrow July 1. Global public health experts advising the state on reopening have cleared the region to move to the next phase. Read more about Phase 4 here.
5. As part of Nourish NY, New Yorkers in Western and Central NY can participate in a voucher program. New Yorkers can obtain vouchers from Foodlink, the Food Bank of Central NY and FeedMore Western NY food banks to purchase milk in the grocery story. To date, there have been 504 distributions that have helped more than 140,000 households across the state access Nourish NY products.
6. The total number of COVID hospitalizations continues to remain low. Total hospitalizations are at 891. Sadly, 13 people in New York passed away due to COVID-19.
7. Yesterday, the State tested 52,025 people. Only 594, or 1%, were positive.
Tonight's "Deep Breath Moment": To celebrate the return of spring training and while we wait for Broadway's inevitable return, the cast of Hadestown joined forces with some current and former MLB stars for a virtual performance of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," along with an original song, "Wait For Me."
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo