Jun 24, 2020
Today I announced, along with New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont, a joint initiative that requires all individuals traveling to NY, NJ or CT from listed states with significant community spread of COVID-19 to quarantine for a 14-day period upon arrival.
1. Five regions of New York are on track to enter Phase 4 of reopening on Friday. The metrics in the Finger Lakes, Central New York, Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley and the North Country continue trending in the right direction. Phase 4 permits indoor religious gatherings at 33% of capacity, and allows low-risk indoor and outdoor arts and entertainment, film and TV production and professional sports without fans. Read more about Phase 4 here.
2. Social gatherings of up to 50 people will be allowed as part of Phase 4. Currently, gatherings of up to 25 people are permitted in regions that are in Phase 3.
3. The MTA Subway system had more than 1 million daily riders yesterday, the highest since the COVID-19 crisis began. Ridership is still far below its pre-COVID daily weekday average of 7+ million riders. Every single day, every single subway car is disinfected and cleaned, just one of the several precautions undertaken to protect the health of passengers.
4. A note on malls, movie theaters and gyms. These industries are unusually risky from a health standpoint. The State is undertaking further study to ensure we make informed decisions before reopening these businesses.
5. The total number of COVID hospitalizations continues to decline. Total hospitalizations fell to 1,071, from 1,104 the previous day. Sadly, 17 people in New York passed away due to COVID-19.
6. Yesterday, the State tested 51,144 people. Only 581, or 1%, were positive.