President, The Commissary
The Commissary is a collaborative community, providing shared kitchens combined with food industry-specific business assistance to help aspiring entrepreneurs build great food companies, create jobs, and strengthen our regional food economy. The Rochester Downtown Development Corporation led the effort to establish The Commissary, both corporations are independent 501(c)(3) not for-profits.
The President of The Commissary will oversee the strategic vision for driving the growth of a dynamic and innovative food incubator program. This role is multifaceted - the President will directly support emerging food businesses and translate this experience into strategic plans developed with the Board of Managers and other key partners. Our organization intersects with a broad spectrum of audiences. The President will be responsible for managing relationships with Commissary stakeholders, city, state, and county officials, economic development partners, and various organizations within the Rochester community.
- Oversee financial management including preparation of budgets, grant administration for existing and future grants, compliance with Board established procedures, developing internal financial controls for expenditures in consultation with the Board, and resolving any financial issues with members.
- Manage 2 staff (1 FT & 1 PT), growing to 3 in 2023.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Board of Managers; setting of a regular meeting schedule, agenda development, and including Board of Managers in fundraising and marketing events.
- Oversee the Commissary brand, voice and messaging, overall community relations, and special events.
- Supervise outside consultants Ensure health and safety compliance with regulatory authorities including the Monroe County Department of Health, NYS Department of Agriculture & Markets, and the City of Rochester in partnership with the culinary operations manager
- Increase membership and utilization of the facility and oversight of special events promoting The Commissary and the capabilities of member businesses.
- Coordinate fundraising efforts, including relationship cultivation for future funding, and grant writing and management.
- Manage business development service delivery for businesses at different stages of growth, ranging from pure start-up to experienced operators in partnership with the Member Development Manager
- Plan and implement workshops, an Entrepreneur in Residence Program, networking events, and marketing experiences.
- Assist members with obtaining financial resources for growth.
- Track, evaluate, and report on the outcomes of programs to ensure high-quality results from a mission and operational perspective.
- Serve as the spokesperson for The Commissary, building visibility and goodwill in the community.
- Manage existing and cultivate new community relationships with partnering organizations, municipal and public stakeholders, and private businesses to advance The Commissary’s mission.
- Oversee promotional events for the Commissary and its members, as well as sales outlets and distribution opportunities for member businesses.
- Initiate programmatic efforts to position Commissary-made products in public markets, food shows, local distributors, local businesses, and restaurants.
If interested in this position please send your cover letter and resume to Karen Altman at email@example.com.