Manager, Tourism Policy Programs, Empire State Development
New York, NY
The mission of Empire State Development (“ESD”) is to promote a vigorous and growing state economy, encourage business investment and job creation, and support diverse, prosperous local economies across New York State through the efficient use of loans, grants, tax credits, real estate development, marketing and other forms of assistance.
To support our economic development mission, ESD:
- Invests strategically in infrastructure, innovation, place-making and revitalization, tradable sectors and workforce development;
- Is transparent and responsive to the needs of diverse communities across the state through the active participation of the Regional Councils;
- Supports the retention and health of existing businesses, the retention of populations, and the development of new businesses and industries that will contribute to the development of the 21st century economy;
- Promotes equality of economic opportunities for minority- and women-owned businesses (“MWBEs”);
- Provides early-stage support for new ventures, including the research and development of new technologies; and
- Strengthens New York State’s innovation-based economy through partnerships with our acclaimed universities, promoting entrepreneurialism through the development of incubators and next-generation manufacturing and technology hubs across the state.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Tourism Policy and Operations, the Manager of Tourism Policy Programs will assist in the development and administration of new and existing tourism programs, including those focused on outdoor recreation, workforce development and accessibility. The Manager of Tourism Policy Programs will work with the tourism team and outside partners to assist in defining goals and objectives for new programs and policy to aid in positive economic impact for the state.
- Analyze trends in outdoor recreation, develop and implement tactics for engagement, partnership, and program development, as well as work with partners like Department of Environmental Conservation and State Parks to help coordinate outdoor recreation programming.
- Continue development on tourism workforce program, serve as liaison to the Department of Labor and oversee planning for job fairs and industry outreach.
- Continue development of Accessible NY program. Maintain accessible information database, collect updates from attractions and destinations, and help manage backend of website survey data.
- Assist the Senior Director of Tourism Policy and Operations in ongoing tourism policy programming. Help draft briefing materials, research industry trends and data, provide feedback on legislative proposals that might impact the tourism industry.
- Serve as logistics and programmatic liaison to the NYS Tourism Advisory Council. Coordinate all aspects of general membership meetings including meeting notifications, press advisories, room setup, webcasting, presentations, agenda, guest speakers and minutes. Maintain membership roster and regular communication with the chair and membership.
- Serve as administrative liaison to the Tourism Interagency Taskforce, which involves over 15 state agencies. Help with meeting setup, minutes, and communication with interagency members.
- Assist on other tourism projects as assigned.
- Travel required.
Position expected to work onsite and/or remote consistent with NYS and ESD guidelines and needs.
Education level required: Bachelor’s Degree in relevant area.
Equivalent experience required: 3+ years’ (in some or all areas noted below.)
Knowledge/Experience required: New York State government experience; project management, policy and/or program development; and proven ability to work well with Stakeholders. Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as Microsoft Office skills.
Salary Range: Up to $67,000.00 Annually
To apply for this position please follow the link to apply.