Reasons To Be Thankful...Reasons To Celebrate Progress
Reflecting on the year that has passed since our 2021 Thanksgiving issue, I find numerous reasons to give thanks this year and look forward to the year ahead. A few highlights:
- HOLIDAY SURPRISE: In December of 2021 (in fact, during NYSTIA's virtual holiday mixer!) we got word that NYSTIA's Market NY Grant 'Tourism Recovery & Resurgence' had been approved. Thanks to the grant awarded to NYSTIA by New York State's Empire State Development and the I LOVE NY Division of Tourism under Governor Kathy Hochul's Regional Economic Development Council Initiative, we launched numerous initiatives and have provided over $500,000 in marketing support to participating destinations and businesses for marketing outreach to consumer and travel trade sectors in both the domestic and international markets.
- MEMBER ENGAGEMENT: Our membership is growing and is more involved than ever! We are truly stronger together - welcoming over three dozen new members and drawing over 400 total attendees to the 2022 NYS Tourism Conference and the 2022 NYSTIA Annual Meeting. Our committees and task force teams are active and contributing to the tourism industry's momentum across New York State.
- TOURISM RESURGENCE: Thanks to your hard work and creative adaptation to the evolving travel marketplace, the 2021 travel spending reports issued mid-year showed that New York State's tourism regions outside of New York City collectively surpassed pre-pandemic spending levels. U.S. Travel's travel spending dashboard indicates that travel spending for September of 2022 for New York State as a whole surpassed 2019 levels! Those of you who joined us at the October Annual Meeting in New York City witnessed firsthand the resurgence of the world's #1 destination city.
I look forward to embarking with all of you on the journey to success in 2023 and urge you, in particular, to look to this newsletter in the weeks ahead for news of our programs, initiatives and events. Once again, I want to express my admiration and respect for the work you all do and my appreciation for your efforts on behalf of your destinations, communities and the New York State Tourism Industry Association. - Bob Provost (reach Bob at firstname.lastname@example.org)
NYSTIA Market NY Grant Project #134852
Put your destination and/or tourism business in front of inbound travel buyers! This program will introduce you to the top DMC’s, international receptive operators, and domestic tour operators based in the major gateways of the United States: New York, Florida, and California. Participate in managed virtual sales calls to develop strategic relationships to grow your business’ distribution networks, all with a New York State focus.
Diversity, Equality, Accessibility & Inclusion
U.S. Travel is asking the nation's travel industry to join their sign-on letter urging Congress to pass these critical priorities by the end of the year:
- Address long visa wait times by enacting the Visitor Visa Wait Time Reduction Act (H.R. 9141)
- Support the Service Worker Economic Stabilization Act (H.R. 9231)
- Pass the Omnibus Travel and Tourism Act (S. 3375)
NYSTIA 2022 Co-Ops:
- Mountain Biking
- Water Sports
Whether you're seeking a new opportunity or sharing one, don't forget about the NYSTIA jobs board! You can also submit your organization's open jobs which we will post on our website and in this newsletter for the general public.