May 31, 2022
Year-Round Program Returns for the Summer with Expanded Offerings
Newest Excursions Include Painting, Cruising, and Accessible Adaptive Adventures
Governor Kathy Hochul today announced the launch of a new season of free "On the Canals" excursions along the New York State Canal system. Now in its third year, this free recreational program, sponsored by the New York Power Authority and New York State Canal Corporation, offers unique opportunities to experience the waterways of the Canal system and the adjoining Empire State Trail. This summer's "On the Canals" excursions include kayaking, cycling, cruising, painting, birding, and accessible activities such as adaptive paddling and biking.
"I am thrilled this free program is returning for a third season and can think of no better way to spend the summer than 'On the Canals,' as these recreational activities bring New Yorkers and tourists alike to our waterways and trails and help support our local economies," Governor Hochul said. "As a frequent boater on the Canal and having kayaked and cycled during the first two seasons of 'On the Canals,' I know firsthand how spectacular these recreational opportunities are. I look forward to this new season offering unique experiences that allow for families and individuals of all abilities to enjoy our historic Canal system."
This season's "On the Canals" program builds upon the successful first two seasons by expanding the types of activities offered, increasing participation by offering more outings over a longer period, and growing the number of locations across the Canal system where excursions are held. "On the Canals" will also be on hand at various festivals this year, with adaptive equipment available to try out. Itineraries this season include:
- Paddle/Pedal in Brockport with adaptive equipment available
- Bike Safety Rodeo and Repair Workshops in Buffalo
- Black Rock Historic Bike Tour in Buffalo
- Hydrobike & Kayak the Canal Aqueduct in Medina
- Fish & Kayak at Medina Falls & Glenwood Lake in Medina
- Kids Paddlesports on the Canal in Oswego
- Introduction to Kayaking & Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Oswego
- Sunset Paddling and Urban Paddle in Oswego
- Montezuma Wetlands: In Search of the Bald Eagle in Montezuma
- Painting Alongside the Canal (En Plein Air) in Amsterdam and other canalside locations
- STEAM Workshops for Kids & Teens in Schuylerville and Utica
- Bike & Boat Cruises in Schuylerville
- Cycling Tours in Schuylerville and surrounding areas
- Guided Kayak Tours in Buffalo, North Tonawanda, Waterloo and Macedon
- Historic Boat Tours in Schuylerville, Herkimer, Buffalo and on Seneca Lake
- Youth Kayak & Water Safety in Macedon
- Intro to Cycling & Bike Maintenance in Schuylerville
- Paddle/Pedal in Halfmoon
New York Power Authority Interim President & CEO Justin E. Driscoll said, "The 'On the Canals' excursions program is an innovative use for New York's Canal system, and one that has enticed travelers to visit and experience it for what it really is - scenic water and trailwayssteeped in rich history offering boundless opportunities for exploration and recreation. I am grateful to Governor Hochul for continuing to invest in our canals and I am certain that these excursions will continue to make New York's Canal system a force for economic growth and recreation."
New York State Canal Corporation Director Brian U. Stratton said, "I am incredibly proud to join Governor Hochul and our colleagues at the New York Power Authority as we officially launch this year's 'On the Canals' summer excursions with new offerings that make this program more accessible than ever. Our Canal system is a fundamental part of our state's history and should be enjoyed to its fullest capacity by all New Yorkers and visitors who come looking for education, adventure, and fun, and I encourage everyone of all ages and skill levels to spend their summer experiencing New York's most iconic waterways and trails 'On the Canals.'"
Those interested in learning more about the "On the Canals" program or to sign-up for an excursion may do so by visiting the "On the Canals" website. Additional excursions will be launched throughout the year.
Initially piloted in the summer of 2020 as "NY Canal Staycations," the "On the Canals" program has expanded as a year-round recreation initiative in New York State after participation nearly tripled in 2021.
"On the Canals" is funded through the New York Power Authority and Canal Corporation's Reimagine the
The New York State Canal system, which provides unique and unparalleled experiences, officially opened this year for its 198th consecutive season of navigation in May.