Aug 17, 2022
Dear Colleagues and Friends,
August is here, we're past the halfway point of the canal season, and it's time to step it up! Let's encourage people to sign up for the Canalway Challenge to enjoy cycling, hiking, paddling, and exploring along the canals and Canalway Trail in the remaining weeks of summer.
Here are some mid-season stats, news of note, and a new social media post:
- We are seeing many more 360 Mile finishers. 360 miles is now the top mileage category for signups and finishers.
- 62% of finishers are women.
- Cycling is by far the most popular activity (57%), followed by walking (30%).
- People can log miles on their own or during an upcoming event. There are several 1st Mile events coming up and the Beer, Bikes and Barges cycling series offered by the Erie Canal Museum continues. September brings the ROC the River Ride in Rochester and Hudson Valley Ramble.
- Paddle the Canal: ON the Erie- Our signature paddling event on 8/6 drew about 100 people who paddled from Baldwinsville to Onondaga Lake Park in Syracuse. The event was a good way to introduce people to the canal and the Canalway Challenge.
“Scenery along the Erie Canal was stunning, the bridges and locks were impressive, the people were extremely friendly." – Chris J., Chicago, IL, 90 Miler
“Traveling by bike through Erie Canal towns, both large and small, is a great way to spend a vacation! So many beautiful sights and friendly people." – Chris and Rob, Rochester, NY, 360-Milers
SOCIAL MEDIA POST with attached social media graphic (two choices or use your own image):
Experience New York State like never before when you take up the Canalway Challenge. Choose your mileage and your method and start exploring! Cycle-Walk-Paddle-Roll. Free sign up. www.canalwaychallenge.org
Thanks again for your promotional support! Don't hesitate to reach out to Ashley or me if you need anything.Jean
Director of Communications and Outreach