Bachelor's Degree in Travel & Tourism, Business, Communications,
Hospitality Management or related field of study.
- Minimum 5 years' experience tourism or hospitality leadership required;
destination management preferred.
- Equivalent combinations of education and work experience will be considered
- Expertise in all major business software (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft
Office etc.,) and ability to teach
- Strong knowledge of marketing principles
- Grant writing and management experience
- Not-for-profit and experience working with a board of directors preferred
- A valid passport and driver's license are required for local, national and
- Availability for overnight out of town travel
- Availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to inspire, lead, and build relationships
- Solid understanding of digital and social media strategies
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to work
effectively with a wide range of diverse constituencies
- Demonstrated passion for Cayuga County and the Finger Lakes
- Strong organizational skills including ability to manage multiple projects
and details simultaneously
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems
Equipment, Machines and Software Used:
Computer software: Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, Power
Point, Publisher & Word) and Quickbooks Pro. Knowledge of Adobe Creative
Suite also desirable.
- Proficient in Simpleview website CRM
- Ability to operate various office equipment including computer, printer,
telephone, fax machine, photocopier, laptops, presentation equipment and
Additional Info: Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
- Develops and implements an annual comprehensive marketing plan that includes advertising, publications, distribution, travel shows, information centers, digital/social media, research, group sales and public relations programs
- Manages the I Love NY Matching Funds program
- Creates cooperative promotional opportunities for local tourism businesses
- Establishes an ongoing system of data collection and intelligence gathering
- Responsible for new market development
- Interfaces with regional and state tourism partners and programs
- Hires, trains, develops, reviews performance and when necessary, dismisses staff in accordance with CCCVB policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Hires contractors when needed to fulfill the objectives of the strategic plan when those objectives cannot be obtained by regular staff
- Assists in recruiting new board members and holds new board member orientation sessions.
- Assesses the professional needs of the board of directors, staff and volunteers and schedules training as necessary.
- Prepares an annual budget for approval by the board of directors, and monitors the financial situation of the CCCVB, ensuring the financial health of the organization.
- Prepares financial information for annual audit.
- Applies for and obtains grants and other funding to supplement occupancy tax revenues
- Oversees bookkeeping
Education & Advocacy
- Serves as Cayuga County's official tourism promotion agency (TPA) with the appropriate tourism related agencies and associations and acts as the official spokesperson for the organization.
- Provides training opportunities for tourism partners to optimize cross-selling and customer service
- Provides workshops to educate partners in areas of tourism sales, marketing and public relations
- Maintains a high level of visibility and availability for communities, businesses, and organizations in Cayuga County that have an interest in tourism.
- Participates in Leadership Cayuga program.
- Prepares annual report
- Cultivates support of government officials and local tourism community.
- Conducts needs assessments and assists with tourism workshops.
- General Administration
- Monitors the operation of the Tourism Office to insure that it is run in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Insures the appropriate documentation and maintenance of the CCCVB records, files, and office properties.
- Staffs and maintains a tourism office to distribute visitor information, respond to inquiries and assist with arranging tours and accommodations.
- Prepares monthly executive director's report and reports at monthly board of directors meetings