Executive Director, Seneca Falls Heritage and Tourism Center/ Seneca Museum of Waterways and Industry
Seneca Falls, NY
November 3, 2022
The Seneca Museum of Waterways and Industry was founded in 1998. Its mission is to captivate and educate audiences of all ages with the rich industrial and waterways history of Seneca Falls. With exhibits and collections highlighting the history of the Cayuga-Seneca Canal and the industrial growth that occurred along its banks there are many amazing stories to tell.
The museum is housed in a three-story 9,000 square foot facility that sits between the Cayuga-Seneca Canal and Seneca Falls' main street. The building is owned by the Town of Seneca Falls and they maintain the facility. In 2010 the museum was contracted by the Town to also operate the Seneca Falls Heritage Area Visitor Center and we continue to do so today, with the center serving as home to the Seneca Museum of Waterways and Industry, the visitor center and boater amenities (showers, laundry, bathrooms).
- Ability to implement the policies established by the Board of Trustees and to encourage the active participation of the Board, staff, volunteers, donors, and the public in realizing the objectives and goals of the Visitor Center/Museum.
- Manage daily operations of the Visitor Center/Museum including staff and volunteer supervision.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- In concert with the Board, develops and implements a strategic plan that will set the vision of the organization and move its mission forward.
- Develops annual operating budget, tracks spending, and monitors cash flow, works with the treasurer and finance committee to ensure the overall financial health of the organization.
- Identifies and applies for appropriate grant funding opportunities. Monitors grant implementation and outcomes and ensures the necessary tracking, documentation, and reporting requirements are met.
- Identifies and implements new resource development and revenue generating activities.
- Maintains all necessary registrations, certifications, and payments to comply with federal, state, and local laws and regulatory requirements for non-profits.
- Ability to deal with administrative and technical principles, practices, techniques, and ethics associated with museum management.
- Other duties as assigned by the board.
Communications and Community Engagement
- Serves as the organization’s official spokesperson to constituents, the media and the general public. Represents and promotes the organization at community and regional affairs.
- Creates a visitor center experience that highlights what Seneca Falls and the Finger Lakes region have to offer. Promotes the Town of Seneca Falls as a tourism destination.
- Oversees the creation of marketing and promotional materials including newsletters, e-mails, website, and social media. Updates, maintains, and prints the Seneca Falls Museum Trail Brochure.
- Oversees efforts of the Marketing Associate to develop a marketing plan and strategies designed to support the organization’s overall strategic plan.
- Regularly attend Town of Seneca Falls board meetings and forms strong partnerships with board members and Town staff.
Programming & Outreach
- Develops and implements an annual calendar of events, exhibits, and programs to further the mission of the organization.
- Develops an exhibit plan for the museum and oversees the creation of new exhibits and displays.
- Directs and supports the Curator/Education Manager’s development and implementation of educational and public outreach programs and exhibits. Oversees group tours and field trip visits and assist with programming and delivery as needed.
- Coordinates a plan to continue work on documenting and preserving the museum’s collections and archives.
- Coordinates key annual and special events such as the Music in the Park series, fundraising events, and community-wide events (i.e., Canal Festival, It’s a Wonderful Life Festival, Convention Days, etc.).
- Oversees the Summer Camp in a Box program and work with partner organizations to develop an annual program.
- Identify and participate in relevant associations and educational activities and events to keep abreast of the latest developments in museum and nonprofit management.
- Assist staff with professional and personal development goals as well as objectives to meet the needs of the organization.
Bachelor’s Degree in Museum Studies, History, Tourism, Nonprofit Management, Archives, Business Development and Organization, or similar field. Master’s Degree preferred.
A strategic thinker with five (5) years paid and/or volunteer experience managing a museum, visitor center, or other non-profit organization.
- Development and implementation of educational programs and special events.
- Management and development of employees and volunteers.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Experience in accounting and marketing,
- Successful history of grant writing and resource development/fund raising.
Desired Technical Skills
- Ability to present ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Familiarity with office technology and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Google Suites along with Collection Management Databases, Donor Management Software, QuickBooks, and other software programs such as graphic design, newsletters, and blogs.
[negotiable, consistent with ADA requirements] Ability to perform or supervise tasksinvolving:
- Climbing stairs and ladders.
- Use of tools and doing minor repair/construction work.
- Infrequent lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Standing, walking, and sitting for extended amounts of time.
Reporting: The Executive Director works closely with and under the supervision of the Board of Directors to achieve the dual objectives of the Visitor Center and the Museum.
Salary: $45,000-$55,000 based on experience
Benefits: Competitive PTO and Paid Holiday Package
This posting will remain active until the Executive Director position is filled. To apply, please, email your resume (or CV) and a cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. We will notify qualified applicants if we wish to schedule an interview.