Director of Tourism, Warren County Tourism
Warren County Municipal Center, 1340 State Route 9, Lake George NY 12845
Monday, January 23, 2023
Warren County Tourism works to responsibly promote and support the tourism industry in the Lake George Area through marketing, collaboration, and communication with regional tourism partners and visitors.
Warren County Tourism will be the official leading source of year-round promotion and visitor services for the Lake George Area, working cooperatively with business partners to manage and cultivate the Lake George Area’s brand as “The Original Vacation.”
Warren County Tourism uses a professional, team-based approach to provide objective, innovative and honest promotion about the Lake George Area. Our staff members are dedicated to sharing their enthusiasm for our region using multiple media platforms to provide accessible and timely information that visitors to the region can reliably and efficiently incorporate into their vacation plans.
Warren County is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director of Tourism. The Director is responsible for planning, developing and implementing programs to promote Warren County and its facilities and businesses as a premier destination for leisure travel, group tours and special events through marketing and advertising campaigns. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Board of Supervisors
with wide leeway given for the exercise of independent judgment. Supervision is exercised over the work of department employees.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Plans, develops and implements programs and projects aimed at promoting tourism in Warren County
- Plans, formulates and recommends policies and programs which will further overall tourism objectives.
- Develops and maintains relationships with representatives of national, state, regional and local travel councils, chambers, organizations, agencies, and local stakeholders, etc., for the purpose of coordinating their efforts in the promotion of tourism within the County.
- Assists various County agencies and businesses, both public and private, in developing strategies for increasing visitor volume and expenditures.
- Oversees the development, review and distribution of brochures, articles, press releases, etc., on tourism-related subjects including local attractions, events, services, facilities, tourism marketing and public relations.
- Supervises and participates in consumer/ trade shows, sales missions, and familiarization tours for journalists, travel agents, and tour operators.
- Represents the County at meetings, conferences and travel shows and other tourism promotion and community events.
- Confers with the Board of Supervisors to provide assistance in planning, policymaking and the administration of continuing promotional programs dealing with the County's tourism industry.
- Directs the overall operation of the Tourism Department
- Designs, develops and implements an annual marketing plan.
- Plans, directs and oversees contractual programs with outside agencies in performing promotional programs for Warren County.
- Initiates applications for state and private revenue development programs that work to develop tourism.
- Oversees market research and the dissemination of data/reports on tourism trends and the economic impact of tourism to the County.
- Develops and implements departmental budget; makes financial reports and budget recommendations to the County Board of Supervisors.
- Keeps informed on current trends in the travel/tourism industry and of the uses and capabilities of the variety of destinations in the County.
- May perform other incidental tasks, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in tourism marketing and promotion activities in Warren County.
- Thorough knowledge of the geographical attractions and activities of Warren County.
- Good knowledge of the organizations, publications and other groups interested in the facilities and activities in Warren County.
- Good knowledge of management and administrative practices and procedures.
- Good knowledge of producing promotional material across a broad spectrum of existing and merging platforms.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally and using multiple media sources.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with organizations, promoters, groups, businesses individuals and the public.
- Ability to plan and organize tourism events.
- Uses computer applications or other automated systems such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work of the Department.
- Sound judgment; initiative, integrity, creativity, tact.
- A bachelor's degree or higher and eight (8) years of full-time paid experience in the field of travel/tourism, hospitality communications, tourism/hospitality marketing or related field, two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Sixty credit hours or more of post-high school coursework and ten (10) years of full-time paid experience in the field of travel/tourism, hospitality communications, tourism/hospitality marketing or related field: two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and twelve (12) years of full-time paid experience in the field of travel/tourism, hospitality communications, tourism/hospitality marketing or related field; two (2) years of which shall have been in a supervisory capacity.
NOTE: Education beyond the secondary level must be obtained from an institution that is a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university.
Warren County residency is required at the time of appointment and throughout the term of employment.
The salary range for this position is $67,533 - $90,783 and an appropriate determination will be made commensurate with the applicant’s experience.
Note: This appointment is subject to Civil Service Law and Rules.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter, resume and county application by February 10, 2023 to:
Jackie Figueroa, Human Resources Director
Warren County Municipal Center,
1340 State Route 9, Lake George NY 12845
Applications may be obtained from www.warrencountyny.gov/jobs or by following the link to the application.
Warren County is an Equal Opportunity Employer