Communications Manager, George Eastman Museum
May 10, 2022
The George Eastman Museum is located in Rochester, New York, on the estate of George Eastman, the pioneer of popular photography and motion picture film. Founded in 1947 as an independent nonprofit institution, it is the world's oldest photography museum and one of the oldest film archives. The museum holds unparalleled collections—encompassing several million objects—in the fields of photography, cinema, and photographic and cinematographic technology, and photographically illustrated books. The institution is also a longtime leader in film preservation and photographic conservation.
Plan and direct the museum's public relations strategies and activities via traditional media, social media, and community outreach to promote George Eastman Museum, the collection, exhibitions, programs, and special events. Enhance and protect the public image of George Eastman Museum. Support the objectives of the Marketing & Engagement team.JOB DUTIES:
- Write, edit, produce, and/or distribute content in support of public relations activities for all channels, including e-newsletters and social media.
- Write and disseminate effective press releases and media alerts, prepare background information for media, and contribute content to the website and blog.
- Manage online pressroom and press photo site and maintain and update the museum's press kit.
- Generate museum's exhibitions calendar annually for media.
- Serve as the media liaison for the museum, responding to media requests in a timely manner and proactively pitch and place stories in local, regional, national, and international media.
- Develop ongoing relationships with key media partners/participants.
- Work with influencers to promote events, raise awareness, and maintain relationships.
- In addition to the Director and Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement, serve as spokesperson for the Museum.
- Work across departments to find and develop stories.
- Work with internal thought leaders to mine story ideas, position as experts within the media, and provide coaching for media interviews.
- Manage the museum's presence on social media platforms to foster online engagement on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social media platforms.
- Create content, schedule, plan strategies and campaigns.
- Track engagement and mentions across channels, and coordinate responses.
- Track growth and engagement, use analytics to inform future strategies and campaigns, share results.
- Stay on top of trends, algorithms, and broader social media and museum days.
- Oversee and monitor Dryden Theatre and Nitrate Picture Show social media channels.
- Manage communities and monitor conversations regarding GEM on social media and video channels, and coordinate response.
- Establish and monitor metrics and analytics for tracking success of online efforts; use data to inform strategy and decision-making.
- Execute the paid social advertising budget allocated to the museum's social media platforms.
- Produce and disseminate the museum's various e-newsletters. Manage and grow e-newsletter lists.
- Maintain external event calendars and business listings, and coordinate responses to comments and reviews.
- Participate in Crisis Communications planning and stay abreast of current issues affecting the museum/photography and film industries and local community.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on earned, owned, and shared media results.
- Hire and manage event photography for gallery openings and public programs.
- Identify and implement quick turnaround distribution methods for content captured at events.
- Assist in organizing and staffing public events.
- Perform other responsibilities/projects as assigned by the Senior Director of Marketing and Engagement.
- Work environment is an office setting with moderate to light noise. This position requires sitting, standing, walking, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling a maximum of 35 pounds.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Business or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in communications and/or public relations or other related field.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and verbal communications skills, including public speaking.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and team building skills, especially in cross-functional teams; ability to collaborate with team members and leaders.
- Deep knowledge of social media platforms and practices (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and associated business/ad platforms); experience running a brand.
- Ability to champion use of social media within an organization.
- CMS proficient (Meltwater, Sprout Social).
- Other online management programs (Constant Contact, Box.com, etc.).• PC proficient (Excel, Power Point, Word). Adobe Creative Suite experience preferred (Adobe Photoshop).
- Project management and reading comprehension skills.